Kalfou: A Journal of Comparative and Relational Ethnic Studies from UC Santa Barbara focuses on social movements, social institutions, and social relations. Kalfou is currently seeking submissions that address what Sunaina Maira describes as the “weaponization” of Ethnic Studies against itself. Despite the proliferation of “DEI” statements and agencies, we continue to see the neutralization of antiracist and antisexist discourses in order to perpetuate injustice.
- Marginalizing, policing, and/or excluding knowledge production about Palestine within Ethnic Studies
- Mobilizing Black respectability discourses against queer and trans solidarities and analyses
- Criminalizing Critical Race Theory in the name of “antiracist progress”
- Legitimating transphobic and homophobic laws and policies
- Upholding ableist racial and gendered hierarchies
- Commodifying identity and promoting the tokenized inclusion of people of color as mouthpieces for meritocracy and traditional power
- And compelling allegiance to US nationalism and imperialism.
What happens when ethnic studies–derived arguments are used against the efforts to respond to aggrieved communities and to build solidarities? How has this impacted knowledge production and/or activist work? What radical visions for solidarity and alternative social relations are emerging from ongoing liberation and decolonization struggles? In addition to research articles, we also welcome artwork and artist perspectives that address these concerns, and we particularly encourage activist submissions.
Article Submission Deadline – May 31, 2023
Click here to learn more!